The simulator was purchased in 2009 from David Bagley, after the bells were rehung. It is used for any special practices when we prefer to ring tied, for example on a Saturday morning. Recently, we have been working on spliced quarters of Minor, and using the simulator to practice privately to get to grips with the challenge….
We were delighted to get a call after The LEBRF (Llewllyn Edwards Bell Resporation Fund, the Salisbury Guild fund) trustees meeting on 26th October, to confirm that they have pledged £700, which is 10% of the cost. This is a tremendous boost to our fundraising.
We have made several other requests and are waiting for the decisions to be made in due course. Each charitable trust has a different set of criteria, so it is difficult at this stage to predict what the likely totals of the grants are going to be.
Meanwhile, each week at practice night, Jack has been selling brownies to the band, a group of willing customers which varies between about 14 on a quiet night, to 20 or so.
Another member of the band has been busy making homemade Christmas cards to sell for the appeal.
About £1000 has also been received in private donations.
The bell was originally the fourth heaviest from a ring of five bells cast for Hampreston in 1738 by William Knight, who had a bell foundry in the village of Closworth near Sherborne. The current second and third bells were from this same founder who also cast a ring of five bells for Canford Magna church the following year. The bells were turned and rehung on new fittings in 2003 and it is likely that a flaw in the original casting was the cause of the crack due to the clapper now hitting the bell in a different place.